AI/ML Senior Data Scientists/Data Scientist III (open to remote)
AI/ML Senior Data Scientists/Data Scientist III (open to remote)American Family Insurance
Houston, TX 77070
At American Family Insurance, we believe people are an organization’s most valuable asset, and their ideas and experiences matter. From our CEO to our agency force, we’re committed to growing a diverse and inclusive culture that empowers innovation that will inspire, protect, and restore our customers’ dreams in ways never imagined.
American Family Insurance is driven by our customers and employees. That’s why we provide more than just a job – we provide opportunity. Whether you’re already part of our team in search of a new challenge or new to our company and ready for what’s next, you’re in the right place. Every dream is a journey that starts with a single step. Start your journey right here. Join our team. Bring your dreams.
Job ID:R26353 AI/ML Senior Data Scientists/Data Scientist III (open to remote) (Open)
Compensation may vary based on the job level and your geographic work location.Compensation Minimum:$126,800 Compensation Maximum:$222,100
Summary:American Family’s Data Science and Analytics Lab (DSAL) is the result of American Family Insurance’s investment in innovation-visit their website for more information: https://amfamlabs.com/
We are a passionate, diverse team looking for data science professionals who can help us re-envision insurance in light of technical, societal, and consumer changes. DSAL uses advanced analytical techniques – machine learning, computer vision, natural language processing, and statistics – with new sources of data to create new products, services, and means of engaging customers, and to develop fundamentally new business models for insurance.
While we are part of a Fortune 500 company, we operate more like a startup than a large corporate entity. Our small, agile team is a diverse mix of computer scientists, data engineers, developers, statisticians, and insurance domain experts. We tackle a variety of insurance-related analytical questions, but ultimately our focus is on creating a new future for insurance that incorporates the explosion of new data sources becoming available from web, mobile, IoT, and beyond.
The type of person we are looking for would match several of the below criteria:
- Academic background in a quantitative field, ideally computer science, math, physics, or engineering
- An understanding of the mathematical foundations of machine learning (linear algebra, calculus, applied probability)
- Extensive experience across the python data science stack - NumPy, Pandas, Scikit-Learn, Pytorch, TensorFlow/Keras, SciPy, Matplotlib
- Industry experience with multiple of the following: NLP, Deep Learning, traditional supervised and unsupervised learning methods
- Comfortable working in a highly collaborative environment that requires creativity, self-discipline, accountability, and comfort with ambiguity
- Takes pride in their craft, from writing clean code to developing subject matter expertise
- Experience with cloud infrastructures
- Experience with tools and best practices for software engineering, including version control, test, and review best practices
- Relational database and SQL proficiency
- Demonstrated impact in previous roles that involves hypothesis formation and testing, complex problem solving, and stakeholder communication
- Creates innovative vision and strategy, along with business application and modeling framework for new datasets, and leads the discovery of insights and relationships from large/complex datasets through investigative research using advanced mathematical and/or statistical techniques.
- Explores data using a variety of advanced statistical techniques to proactively identify relationships, create insights and answer business questions or guide future model development.
- Build the hypothesis, identify research data attributes and determine best approach to address business issues.
- Combines business acumen with mathematical capabilities to build complex predictive models to support business partner objectives and business needs.
- Builds complex programs for running statistical tests on data and for understanding correlation of various attribute.
- Incorporates findings and provides industry and competitor insights as part of model development and enhancement
- Interacts with leadership to assist in the development of strategic direction for the business or business partners.
- Researches and maintains awareness of industry best practices and business strategies.
- Proactively brings in new and innovative ideas and approaches to develop business solutions.
- Monitors industry and competitor trends to determine potential impact to predictive models.
- Incorporates findings and provides industry and competitor insights as part of model development and enhancement.
- Identifies, leverages and develops expertise in emerging technologies, open source tools, and harnesses new techniques.
- Networks with and contributes thought leadership to the broader external analytics community. Builds awareness of leading techniques, tools, and data resources.
- Leads complex research or analytics projects related to large, complex business initiatives. Applies expert knowledge of emerging trends and industry practices.
- Functions in a collaborative and consultancy role. Routinely leads discussions with senior management.
- Interacts and leads discussions with company senior leadership to inform on industry trends and emerging research topics. Serves as internal expert for new areas of analytics exploration.
- Leads the development of new analytical and data science capabilities.
- Mentors less experienced data science professionals.
- Serves as internal thought leader, and provides knowledge transfer and training on new modeling tools and methodologies to less experienced staff.
- Applies advanced design of experiment techniques, as needed, across various business experiments in order to provide cause and effect statistical assessments of initiatives that are driving performance.
- This position requires travel up to 10% of the time
Specialized Knowledge and Skills Requirements
- Demonstrated experience providing customer-driven solutions, support or service
- Ability to work as part of a team and to communicate effectively.
- Mastery of a wide variety of programming languages and frameworks, demonstrating strong skills in the development, articulation and implementation of coding practices for the team.
- Demonstrated experience communicating complex findings in a clear and concise manor to senior management.
- Demonstrated experience developing and managing complex projects and effectively leading interdisciplinary teams to accomplish project goals.
- Demonstrated experience formulating, approaching, and solving complex analytical problems using a quantitative, scientific approach. Experience with a broad range of modeling techniques such as probabilistic graphical models, natural language processing, kernel methods, recommender systems, support vector machines, deep learning, media mix modeling, linear optimization, decision tree models, survival analysis, principal component analysis, and/or simulation modeling.
- Demonstrated experience working with large, complex datasets using big data technologies and script language.
- Extensive knowledge and understanding of managing data to scale using data summarization, query, and analysis software and tools.
- Preferred: Master's Degree in Mathematics, Statistics, Physics, Computer Sciences or Engineering, or related field; PhD strongly preferred
Additional Job Information:
There are multiple openings.
Depending on qualifications, candidates may be considered at different levels.
The teams are based in Chicago, IL and Madison, WI so those locations are preferable; however, we are open to remote employees in the United States.
Offer to selected candidate will be made contingent on the results of applicable background checks.
Offer to selected candidate is contingent on signing a non-disclosure agreement for proprietary information, trade secrets, and inventions.
When you work at American Family you can expect benefits that support your physical, emotional, and financial wellbeing. You will have access to comprehensive medical, dental, vision and wellbeing benefits that enable you to take care of your health. We also offer a competitive 401(k) contribution, a pension plan, an annual incentive, and a paid-time off program. In addition, our student loan repayment program and paid-family leave are available to support our employees and their families. Interns and contingent workers are not eligible for American Family Enterprise benefits.
We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law.
Stay connected: Join Our Enterprise Talent Community!LI:DB1