Public Relations Manager
Public Relations ManagerWood Mackenzie
Houston, TX 77057
Wood Mackenzie is the global leader in data, analysis and consulting across the energy, chemicals, metals, mining, power and renewables sectors.
Founded in 1973, our success has always been underpinned by the simple principle of providing trusted research and advice that makes a difference to our customers. Today we have over 2,000 customers ranging from the largest global energy companies and financial institutions to governments as well as smaller market specialists.
Our teams are located around the world. This enables us to stay closely connected with customers and the markets and sectors we cover. Collectively this allows us to offer a compelling combination of global commodity analysis with detailed local market knowledge.
We are committed to supporting our people to grow and thrive. We value different perspectives and aspire to create an inclusive environment that encourages diversity and fosters a sense of belonging. We are committed to creating a workplace that works for you and encourage everyone to get involved in our Wellness, Diversity and Inclusion, and Community Engagement initiatives. We actively support flexible working and are happy to consider alternative work patterns, taking into account your needs and the needs of the team or division that you are looking to join.
Hear what our team has to say about working with us:
We are proud to be a part of the Verisk family of companies!
At the heart of what we do is help clients manage risk. Verisk (Nasdaq: VRSK) provides data and insights to our customers in insurance, energy and the financial services markets so they can make faster and more informed decisions.
Our global team uses AI, machine learning, automation, and other emerging technologies to collect and analyze billions of records. We provide advanced decision-support to prevent credit, lending, and cyber risks. In addition, we monitor and advise companies on complex global matters such as climate change, catastrophes, and geopolitical issues.
But why we do our work is what sets us apart. It stems from a commitment to making the world better, safer and stronger.
It’s the reason Verisk is part of the UN Global Compact sustainability initiative. It’s why we made a commitment to balancing 100 percent of our carbon emissions. It’s the aim of our “returnship” program for experienced professionals rejoining the workforce after time away. And, it’s what drives our annual Innovation Day, where we identify our next first-to-market innovations to solve our customers’ problems.
At its core, Verisk uses data to minimize risk and maximize value. But far bigger, is why we do what we do.
At Verisk you can build an exciting career with meaningful work; create positive and lasting impact on business; and find the support, coaching, and training you need to advance your career. We have received the Great Place to Work® Certification for the fifth consecutive year. We’ve been recognized by Forbes as a World’s Best Employer and a Best Employer for Women, testaments to our culture of engagement and the value we place on an inclusive and diverse workforce. Verisk’s Statement on Racial Equity and Diversity supports our commitment to these values and affecting positive and lasting change in the communities where we live and work.
The Public Relations Manager (PR Manager) is a key member of the Global Public Relations & Communications team responsible for creating and executing the Americas PR strategy for Wood Mackenzie. The role will work with global PR, content & digital, events, and regional marketing teams to grow Wood Mackenzie’s brand in our Americas markets. This position will report to the Head of Internal Communications & PR and form part of a Global team that manages media relations and raises our brand through strategic proactive media engagement.
About the Day-to-Day Responsibilities of the Role
- Develop and execute the Americas regional PR strategy, working with key stakeholders across marketing and the wider organization
- Collaborate with colleagues in the global communications team on global and cross-regional campaigns
- Create content and story angles to drive greater awareness around specific issues, or further engagement with specific audiences
- Use a diverse range of thought leadership content to support outbound communications and engagement (e.g. press releases, blogs, social media programming, video, infographics, pitches)
- Support product PR activity within cross-functional go-to-market team for new/enhanced solutions, such as Wood Mackenzie’s Lens® platform
- Raise profile of subject matter experts across WoodMac and support their personal brands via the media
- Use data to report, derive insights, and improve PR performance across digital channels, and report on results, drawing insights and providing recommendations for improved performance
- Build and maintain relationships with key media contacts in region
- Reinforce adherence of PR Policy in region
- Participate in development of crisis response plan and manage media during crisis
- Support Head of Internal Communications & PR with adhoc internal communications activities
To be successful in this role, you’ll be an experienced media relations professional with a track record of success, preferably with experience across a range of media outlets. You’ll be able to develop engaging and effective PR campaigns based on our industry-leading research, data, and analysis to write the news, drive coverage in target media, and contribute to integrated marketing campaigns. For this position, it’s essential to be adept in media relations, devising media messaging and delivering a strategy.
- A Bachelor’s degree, ideally in Public Relations, Communications, or relevant field
- At least 5 years of proven experience within the PR industry, preferably with experience in energy and / or tech and product PR
- Hands on experience of building integrated PR & Marketing campaigns across a variety of audiences
- Demonstrated experience of building relationships and pitching journalists, editorial teams, and influencers, understanding their needs balanced with organization’s goals
- Versatile skills across PR channels and activities (e.g. media briefings, contributed articles, blogs, news releases, events)
- Highly evolved communication and story-telling skills and an ability to translate technical information into editorial; must be able to quickly understand complex subject matter and simplify while maintaining nuance and essence of the key messages
- Excellent communication and writing skills in English; Spanish also preferred
- Excellent interpersonal skills, with the ability to influence and engage peers and manage stakeholders
- Experience coaching subject matter experts and spokespeople on media interviews and PR engagement
- Experience of working autonomously within a matrix organization, with excellent project management skills and attention to detail
- Proficiency in MS Office and reporting tools (e.g. Meltwater, Sharepoint) as well as digital marketing and Marcom tools
- Some experience in Internal Communications and Corporate Communications would be very advantageous
Verisk Analytics is an equal opportunity employer.
All members of the Verisk Analytics family of companies are equal opportunity employers. We consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, sex, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, veteran's status, age or disability.
Unsolicited resumes sent to Verisk, including unsolicited resumes sent to a Verisk business mailing address, fax machine or email address, or directly to Verisk employees, will be considered Verisk property. Verisk will NOT pay a fee for any placement resulting from the receipt of an unsolicited resume.
Consumer Privacy Notice
At Verisk, the health and safety of our people is our number one priority. Effective November 15, 2021, and subject to applicable law, all prospective hires for office based roles or roles that support any of our businesses’ government contracts will be required to demonstrate that they are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by their start date, or qualify for a legally-required medical or religious accommodation to this vaccination requirement, as a condition of employment. Hired candidates who do not demonstrate that they are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by their start date, and who have not been approved for a legally-required medical or religious accommodation will no longer meet the requirements for employment and their offers of employment will be immediately rescinded, in accordance with applicable law.