Community Relations Specialist
Community Relations SpecialistCity of Houston, TX
Applications Accepted From: All Persons Interested
Division: Human Services
Section: Client Access
Workdays & Hours: M-F, 8 a.m.- 5 p.m.*
- Subject to change
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES/ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
The Houston's Health Department is seeking talented individuals to perform the following duties:
- Furnishes information to community residents, providing referrals to other agencies as appropriate.
- Assists with successful connections of clients to eligible medical program and other basic needs through in-depth interview.
- Possesses ability to effectively communicate with the community, management, programs, and other organizations with professionalism while connecting clients to services.
- Provides application assistance to individuals and families for eligible services and programs.
- Maintains knowledge about eligible community resources/services and provide appropriate navigation to those resources.
- Protects, maintains and ensures clients confidentiality according to HIPPA regulation and other duties as assigned.
- Be able to interpret and apply city, state and federal guidelines to ensure adherence.
- Use approved systems to maintain timely and accurate documentation and reports.
- Maintains liaison with other community social agencies and industry-related programs.
- Assesses community needs. Plans and implements special support programs and/or activities.
- Serves as a community resource person as required.
WORKING CONDITIONSThere are no major sources of discomfort, i.e. essentially normal office environment with acceptable lighting. The position occasionally requires stooping or bending. Occasional very light lifting, such as three or four reams or papers or books (up to 20 pounds or an equivalent weight) may be required.
Basic knowledge of grammar, spelling, punctuation and simple mathematical functions like percentages, ratios, etc. as might normally be acquired through attainment of a high school diploma or a GED
Six (6) months of experience are required.
May require a valid Texas driver's license and compliance with the City of Houston's policy on driving.
**Preference shall be given to eligible veteran applicants provided such persons possess the qualifications necessary for competent discharge of the duties involved in the position applied for, such persons are among the most qualified candidates for the position, and all other factors in accordance with Executive Order 1-6.**
Preference will be given to applicants who exhibit attention to details, ability to multi-task, analytical thinking, aptitude for creative thinking, positive attitude, and ability to quickly adapt to change. Prior experience in a Fast-Paced workplace is preferable. Intermediate or higher knowledge of Microsoft Products.
Bilingual candidates are highly requested
SELECTION/SKILLS TESTS REQUIRED
None. However, the Department may administer a skills assessment test.
SAFETY IMPACT POSITION: Yes
If yes, this position is subject to random drug testing and if candidate is promoted into this position, he/she must pass an assigned drug test.
SALARY INFORMATION - General Funds
Factors used in determining the salary offered include the candidate's qualifications as well as the pay rates of other employees in this classification.
Pay Grade 11
Only online applications will be accepted for this City of Houston job and must be received by the Human Resources Department during active posting period. Applications must be submitted online at: www.houstontx.gov.
To view your detailed application status, please log-in to your online profile by visiting: https://agency.governmentjobs.com/houston/default.cfm or call (832.393.4632).
If you need special services or accommodations, call 832.393.4632. (TTY 7-1-1)
If you need login assistance or technical support call 855-524-5627.
Due to the high volume of applications received, the Hiring Department will contact you directly, should you be selected to advance in our recruitment process.
All new and rehires must pass a pre-employment drug test and are subject to a physical examination and verification of information provided.