Controls and Automation Engineer - PLC
Controls and Automation Engineer - PLCPatterson-UTI
Houston, TX 77064
The New Standard for Drilling Performance
Drill safer, smarter and faster with Patterson-UTI Drilling’s comprehensive fleet of pad-capable rigs featuring advanced walking systems to enhance your operations so you can reach your apex.
The Controls and Automation Engineer will be responsible for the conception, design, development, and maintenance of drilling rig control system(s) software and hardware. The preferred candidate should have an established fundamental knowledge of control system principles, exceptional problem solving skills, experience with Variable Frequency Drives, industrial communication protocols, and drilling rig equipment. They will be responsible for developing new products, sustaining current rig software applications, and fixing issues that are reported with the systems.
The successful candidate will set high standards of performance for themselves and their projects. Present professional demeanor in written and verbal communications while developing innovative solutions. Demonstrate ability to manage multiple tasks and projects simultaneously and adapt to business needs.
This role will report to the Controls and Automation Lead
- Apply exceptional understanding of engineering fundamentals with attention to detail and problem solving skills to complete deliverables of multi-disciplinary backgrounds
- Responsible for developing control algorithms, PLC software, HMI design/development, system architecture design, and implementation of industrial communication protocols
- Be proficient in designing, developing, and applying control system theory to develop software for new and existing systems
- Design and develop drilling applications to improve efficiency and automate drilling processes
- Perform as lead engineer and must be able to understand/translate the functional requirements into a system architecture and develop the best solution for large scale implementation
- Provide accurate system, loop, block, and network diagrams for new or existing systems
- Generate design documentation, drawings, operation manuals and related material for system code and hardware
- Generate work tasks, organize the ordering and delivery of equipment and materials, and oversee the efficient installation and commissioning of software and equipment
- Work directly with third party contractors, Operations, Technical Services, HSE management, and rig crews to assist with the execution of a wide variety of company goals including, but not limited to, drilling control systems, R&D projects, etc.
- Provide technical support to field personnel as required to assist with troubleshooting PLC and control system issues
- Follow a formal process for software change control to ensure that changes are introduced in a controlled and coordinated manner. This process will also include documenting revision management processes and controls.
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team, managing multiple tasks and working on multiple projects simultaneously to meet challenging deadlines
- Demonstrate clear written and verbal communication skills and the ability to promptly give and follow directions when working with others
- Demonstrate forward thinking and problem solving skills to deliver quality products that enhance the company’s vision and drilling portfolio
- Ability to safely navigate the rig up yard and shop work sites with occasional walking, climbing, standing, stepping, etc. during normal operating conditions (day/night, outdoor hot/cold weather)
- Ability to safely navigate drilling rig work sites including regular walking, climbing, standing, stepping, etc. during various weather conditions (day/night, outdoor hot/cold weather)
- Ability to proficiently use MS Office Suite to develop presentations, correspondence, reports, and schedules (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.)
- Physical ability to:
- Lift and carry 50 pounds independently while walking on uneven surfaces
- Bend, stoop, kneel, twist, and crawl occasionally during visits to the field and operational work areas
- Listen for unusual noises that signify equipment and or machinery problems
- Stay alert and focused including during occasional extended work periods
- Maintain spatial orientation and awareness to safely move around the work environment with many moving objects including overhead machinery
- Wear Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) at all designated times
- Ability to regularly travel as needed to visit worksites and support business units; may require extended travel to remote locations and/or overnight stay(s) outside normal office area
- Ability to work on weekends and be on call after hours as needed
Minimum Qu a l i fi c a t ion s
- Bachelor’s degree in an engineering discipline or related field preferably Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Mechatronics, Controls and Automation
- 3+ years of proven experience with PLC programming and HMI development
- Experience in Omron PLC programming using CX-One software
- Proficiency in developing PLC code in ladder logic, structured text, statement list, SFC, etc
- Proven experience with PLC programming related to drilling controls and automation
- Experience in HMI development using Wonderware / WinCC
- Working knowledge of VFD drives, preferably Converteam and Yaskawa VFDs
- Experience with industrial communications protocols (Ethernet/IP, Profibus, Profinet, CANBUS, OPC UA, EtherCAT, etc.)
- Experience working in a multi-developer environment
- Working knowledge of equipment used in the drilling industry
The Controls and Automation Engineer must work with an emphasis on individual safety and safety for others, including coworkers and third parties. Compliance to Patterson’s safety policies and procedure is mandatory. This position could require an occasional visit to the rigs, yards and field offices. Work is primarily in a climate controlled / office environment with minimal safety / health hazard potential. The employee is regularly required to sit, stand, or walk with occasional lifting (overhead, waist level) from floor, bending and frequent near vision use for reading and use of computer, telephone and other office equipment. Occasional travel to other Company offices and work sites, often in remote locations, is required during normal operating conditions (day/night, outdoor hot/cold weather), and employee will be expected to properly use designated personal protective equipment (PPE).