Gauge Lab Technician
Gauge Lab TechnicianVallourec Tube-Alloy
Houston, TX 77073
GENERAL DESCRIPTION: Responsible to perform duties and assignments pertaining to the Calibration of Inspection, Measuring and Test Equipment (IM & TE) which can affect Quality, Health, Safety and the Environment throughout Vallourec Tube-Alloy.
- Performs review and approval of MTR’s when required.
- Set up and test MRP gauges when required.
- Calibrate IM & TE in accordance with QMS and API Q1 requirements.
- Maintain calibration records and file for IM & TE.
- Coordinate calibration of Tube-Alloy owned and leased thread gauges & equipment (API & Premium).
- Ensure all gauges are protected from deterioration and corrosion while in storage or are not being used.
- Coordinate with machine shop lead person, production control and programming regarding the shipping and receiving of short-term licensor gauges.
- Coordinate purchase of outside calibration services and perform receiving inspection and validation of outside calibration services.
- Assists and trains inspectors in the calibration of Vallourec Tube-Alloy’s IM & TE when required.
- Ability to perform all duties of a QC & NDE Inspector. (QHSE-03)
- Assures adequate IM & TE supplies are on hand to prevent any service disruption.
- Assures adequate Calibration & Inspection tools are available.
- Reviews the SOP for IM & TE requirements, identifies and submits revisions for QMS system improvements as needed.
- Assists to disseminate Quality Objectives and Company Goals across the organization.
- Communicates with licensor and customer quality representatives for specification clarification, documentation and certification requirements and other matters of Quality as needed.
- Participates in Quality Incident investigations, including Root Cause, Corrective and Preventative Action development whenever required.
- Reviews and approves the Work Order and production documents for adequacy, completeness and suitability for purpose, prior to production as needed.
- New Insert Verification, prior to production release.
- Conducts Gage capability studies, develops inspection methods, identifies proper inspection instruments and testing equipment, develops inspection and sampling plans and procedures necessary to assure quality control at the most economical cost.
- Travel to other Tube-Alloy facilities, customer or licensor locations may be required.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
REPORTS TO: Department Manager/Supervisor/Lead Person/VP as applicable per facility
EDUCATION: High School Degree or GED. Education requirements may be satisfied through alternative education and/or previous job experience.
EXPERIENCE: Must be familiar with procedures and practices and be able to judge compliance with requirements based on objective evidence. Six (6) years experience in metal fabrication with minimum 2 years in inspection/testing.
SPECIAL SKILLS: Good mechanical skills, knowledge of computer and manufacturing operations. Requires strong knowledge of ISO and API standards and applicable licensor and industry standards. Requires good verbal communication skills. Ability to take initiative, maintain confidentiality and meet deadlines while performing work in a team environment using strong interpersonal and leadership skills is essential. Lean manufacturing experience is a plus.