Scheduler - Surgery (Medical Center)
Scheduler - Surgery (Medical Center)Houston Methodist
At Houston Methodist, the Scheduler position is responsible for providing consumers access to care and treatment through appointment-based availability of healthcare services at a designated facility. This position ensures quality patient surgical and/or ancillary services scheduling by acting as a liaison between patient, facility, and providers to ensure exams, tests, and procedures are scheduled timely, accurately, and appropriately. The Scheduler may also pre-register patients timely in the electronic health record (EHR) so pre-certification, authorization, and verification of insurance benefits can be obtained in a timely manner.
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Job responsibilities labeled EF capture those duties that are essential functions of the job.
PEOPLE - 20%
- Promotes a positive work environment and contributes to a dynamic team focused work unit that actively helps one another to achieve optimal departmental and organizational results. (EF)
- Serves as a liaison between patient, facility, and physicians to ensure exams, tests, and procedures are scheduled timely, accurately, and appropriately. Communicates special requests and add-ons with appropriate department team as needed. (EF)
- Communicates with departments throughout the facility when barriers to the current schedule present. (EF)
SERVICE - 30%
- Schedules patients for services accurately on the appropriate schedule. Synchronizes the appointment calendars in order to effectively schedule patients according to physician/ department availability and urgency of patient service requirements as needed. May also provide pre-registration services. (EF)
- Obtains valid and compliant orders and schedules patients based on the physician order and according to department criteria. Enters all diagnostic services, surgical services and special procedures on the schedule as applicable. (EF)
- Confirms patients’ appointments, instructs on location and directions to facility/ department, relays pre-appointment preparations, and arranges for patients to have interpreter, mobility, or other assistance as needed for the visit. (EF)
- Establishes/updates the hospital account record to include detailed patient demographic and insurance information in EHR system, selecting insurance plans and payers, and medical necessity determination. (EF)
- Responds promptly to requests by staff, patients, and physicians; reschedules and/or cancels appointments as needed. Assists with resolving EHR work queues that support scheduling. (EF)
QUALITY/SAFETY - 25%
- Communicates to resolve patient access and quality service matters. Keeps open channels of communication with physician, patient, and service areas regarding action taken and outcome. (EF)
- Schedules patient appointments utilizing standard operating procedures and enters data into EHR system with a high level of thoroughness, accuracy and timeliness. (EF)
- Meets scheduling goals set by the department (e.g., abandonment rate, productivity/ activities per hour, etc.). (EF)
FINANCE - 15%
- Gathers demographic and insurance information so that the patient’s insurance may be verified, authorization obtained, and patient’s portion determined prior to the patient’s date of service. (EF)
- Organizes time effectively, minimizing incidental overtime, and sets priorities. Utilizes time between heavy workloads efficiently and helps other team members. (EF)
GROWTH/INNOVATION - 10%
- Seeks opportunities to expand learning beyond baseline competencies with a focus on continual development. Generates and communicates new ideas and suggestions that will improve quality or service. (EF)
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
o High School diploma or equivalent education (examples include: GED, verification of homeschool equivalency, partial or full completion of post-secondary education, etc.)
o Two years of experience in a medical setting or call center environment
o Medical scheduling experience preferred
Work Attire Yes/No
Note that employees may be required to be on-call during emergencies (ie. Disaster, Severe Weather Event, etc) regardless of selection above.
May require travel outside No
**Travel specifications may vary by department.
Please note any other special considerations to this job: __________________________
Houston Methodist Specialty Physician Group - As one of the nation’s leading hospitals and academic medical centers Houston Methodist has brought together some of the nation’s leading experts in multiple specialties to serve our patients. As part of Houston Methodist Specialty Physician Group (HMSPG), these specialists not only provide excellent clinical care, but are on the forefront of research, developing leading-edge technologies and treatments, and teaching the medical pioneers of tomorrow. This combination of clinical service, research and academics ensures patients have access to the latest in treatments and technologies while providing the best in comprehensive patient care. Established as a non-profit corporation and certified by the Texas State Board of Medical Examiners, HMSPG enables physicians to maintain autonomy with respect to their clinical practice while growing their practice within an academic environment.