Network Specialist II
Network Specialist IIUniversity of Houston-Clear Lake
Under general supervision, the Network Specialist II is responsible for the day to-day management and administration of the campus internet connections, core infrastructure switches, firewall, and Wifi environment. Analyses and documents LAN performance, assists in evaluation of network technology, assists in linking specialized networks to the network backbone and the internet, and assists with the tracking security breaches or discover network vulnerabilities.
- Administers, configures, and manages campus network infrastructure systems.
- Uses network analysis tools to maintain network performance, troubleshoot problems, and provide recommendations for network improvements. Prepares reports of LAN status to management.
- Creates and documents procedures for LAN and server operations, including support methodologies and user guides. Provides training in LAN administration to other UCT employees and LAN use to a wide variety of users.
- Assists in the planning of LAN's and in linking LANs to larger networks like the Internet. Prepares schematics and diagrams of LANs prototype LAN environments, evaluate Network Operating Systems and network protocols, designs information distribution systems, provides recommendations for future client-server environment developments, and defines methodologies to insure standardization of network products.
- Installs and manages software on servers and workstations operating under Microsoft Windows, the Macintosh operating system, and Linux.
- Administers and manages applications, print, file, communications services in a distributed client-server environment. Installs, configures, tests, maintains, and monitors applications software on client and server computers. Creates, monitors, and manages network-based print queues. Creates and maintains logical file structures on server computers and performs other duties as assigned.
1. Associate's degree in computer networking or related discipline.
2. Experience working with general supervisory direction configure: Enterprise firewalls, internet routers using wide area network protocols, WiFi controllers, edge switches, administering local networks using bridging, switching, or routing protocols, analyzing network performance reports to identify network issues.
3. CCNA - Cisco Certified Network Technician certification, or ability to obtain the certification within 12 months of employment.
4. Knowledge to install, maintain, and administer local networks using bridging, switching, or routing.
5. Knowledge to install and configure CISCO edge switches and routers or equivalent name brand device
6. Knowledge to configure and administrate an enterprise WiFi environment using Cisco WiFi controllers or equivalent name brand devices.
7. Ability to configure edge switches and routers and to configure enterprise WiFi controllers.
8. Ability to diagnose and resolve network performance issues using network analytical tools
9. Ability to handle a demanding work environment and schedule and communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
10. Ability to work schedules including nights and weekends.
Bachelor's degree in computer networking or related discipline.
CCNP - Cisco Certified Network Professional within one year of employment.
Experience configuring SonicWall, CISCO, or similar name brand firewalls; analyzing LAN and WIFI network traffic to troubleshoot network performance; configuring Cisco 65xx or Cisco Nexus switches; configuring Cisco internet connected routers or other name brand routers using wide area network protocols;
Experience with load balancing systems such as Nginx, Big IP F5, or other name brand load balancers; configuring and administrating a WiFi environment using Cisco or Aruba WiFi controllers;
Experience configuring Microsoft or Linux based servers; evaluating and recommending network infrastructure technology.
Required Attachments by Candidate: Resume
Notes to Applicant: Full-time position with benefits. Background check required. To apply, please complete the online application and attach a resume. Applications without the required documents will be considered incomplete and disqualified.
Job Type: Full-time