Public Safety Radio Network Operations Center Technician
Public Safety Radio Network Operations Center TechnicianHarris County
Houston, TX 77002
Under the supervision of the Radio Network Operations Center Technician Lead this position will focus on the monitoring and remote troubleshooting of trunked P25 public safety radio communications core, towers and dispatch centers as well as backhaul facilities. This position involves system-level troubleshooting. Customer-Service oriented, working directly with public safety professionals to diagnose and solve communications equipment problems in real time primarily over the phone and via email.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
Uses computers and network monitoring applications to triage alarms.
- Troubleshoots and determines the appropriate action to resolve system issues or dispatch field technicians.
- Frequently handles confidential radio system information.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- This Job Description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this position. Management may, at its discretion, assign, or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
- High School diploma or General Equivalency Diploma (GED).
- Training and experience using personal computers with a variety of software tools including Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, and web-based tools.
- Must have a Valid Driver’s License.
- Excellent communication skills (verbal & written).
- Ability to work independently and also as a team.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities.
- Skilled in troubleshooting to the major sub-system level.
- Ability to successfully interact with internal and external customers, even in trying situations.
- Must pass FBI Criminal Justice Information Services (CJIS) background checks and Awareness Certification within 90 days of hire.
- Must complete FEMA NIMS ICS 100, 200, 700, 800 training within 1 year of hire.
- Ability to lift at least 20 lbs. and/or move boxes and equipment as needed.
- Subject to kneeling, crouching, handling, climbing, walking, sitting, twisting, and reaching are needed to perform the essential functions.
- Most of the workday will be at a desk position.
- Convictions, probation, or deferred adjudication for any Felony, and any Class A Misdemeanor.
- Convictions, probation, or deferred adjudication for a Class B Misdemeanor, if within the previous 10 years.
- Open arrest for any criminal offense (Felony or Misdemeanor).
- Family Violence conviction.
- Associates Degree or certificate from a technical education program.
- Military communications training or job experience in communications or in a telecommunications switching environment.
- Experience working in a network operations center.
- Familiarity with Motorola P25 trunked radio systems and applications.
- SolarWinds and microwave radio experience.
- Familiarity with backhaul technologies involving T1, fiber and microwave.
- Experience providing customer service and support to Public Safety communications and/or military practitioners.
- FEMA National Incident Management System training.
- Fundamental knowledge of computer networking.
- Troubleshooting and problem-solving skills.
- Experience as a team player committed to the mission of providing exceptional service to our customers.
Harris County has an employment at will policy.
- Upon a conditional offer of employment, all applicants are subject to passing a background check and drug screening.
- May be required to work more than forty hours during the workweek or on weekends, special projects, natural disasters, or Public Safety events/incidents.
- Subject to on call rotation including afterhours response from home.
- Houston, TX
- Commensurate with experience.
- Based on 26 Pay Periods
- Life Insurance
- Long-term disability
- Employee Assistance Program
- 10 days of vacation each year for the first five (5) years of service. Accrual rates increase based on years of service.
- 10 county holidays plus one (1) floating holiday
- Professional development opportunities
- Dependent Care Reimbursement Plan
- Healthcare Reimbursement Account
- 457 Deferred Compensation Plan
- Retirement pension (TCDRS)
- Flexible schedules (varies by department)
- Transportation Assistance (Metro RideSponsor Program)
- Flexible schedules (varies by department)
In accordance with the Harris County Personnel Regulations, Group Health and related benefits are subject to amendment or discontinuance at any time. Commissioners Court reserves the right to make benefit modifications on the County's behalf as needed.