Assistant Director of Nursing - Houston Campus
Assistant Director of Nursing - Houston CampusTexas Lutheran University
Houston, TX 77041
Administrative: 3 years (Required)
Texas Lutheran University seeks an Assistant Director of Nursing at our Houston campus to lead and manage our ABSN track offered at that campus. Reporting to the Director of Nursing, the Assistant Director of Nursing will provide leadership for a strong nursing program that supports non-traditional students’ goals in becoming a registered nurse. This is a full-time, 12-month exempt administrative position, with an anticipated start date of March 1, 2022 or as negotiated.
This role requires strong planning, execution, and collaborative skills as well as demonstrated experience in nursing education. A strong candidate will be able to manage a program that is off-site from the main campus, requiring an individual who is a strong leader but also able to stay well-connected to the vision and mission of TLU and the Nursing Program. This position will be critical as Texas Lutheran University strengthens its commitment to non-traditional student success, retention, and engagement, under a renewed commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
As a key leader, the ADON’s responsibilities will include the following priorities:
- Work closely with the Director of Nursing, Faculty at the New Braunfels and Seguin campus, and our educational partner to build an optimal learning and living environment for nursing students that is focused on advancing student learning, promoting student engagement, and enhancing positive community and climate
- Provide oversight for student admissions, retention, and progression through the nursing program.
- Supervise faculty and staff at the Houston campus.
- Support and implement TLUs Nursing programs mission, theoretical and conceptual teaching frameworks, curriculum, and student learning outcomes at the Houston campus.
- Foster a culture of positivity, collaboration, mutual respect, civility, innovation, and continuous improvement for the Houston Campus and with the larger nursing program and University.
- Oversee the day-to-day operations of the programs on the Houston campus.
- Build community connections to enhance the Department of Nursing’s academic and clinical partnerships to promote excellence in education.
- Participate in the identification and writing of grants to enhance the nursing program.
- Support assessment of the ABSN track on the Houston site and provide monthly updates to the Director of Nursing on student progress, faculty activities, and work with our external partner amongst other items.
- Work closely with our external partner for recruitment and admissions.
- Teach one course each term in area of expertise.
Position Requirements and Qualifications:
The ideal candidate will be a strong leader, skilled administrator, and community builder, creating a strong team on the Houston campus and strong connections with the main campus is Seguin Texas. Specific required qualifications for the position include:
- Earned Master’s Degree in Nursing.
- Terminal degree in nursing or related field preferred.
- Active, unencumbered Registered Professional Nursing license in Texas or be eligible for licensure in Texas.
- At least 3 years of teaching experience in a baccalaureate or masters level nursing program.
- At least 2 years nursing education administrative experience.
- Demonstrated clinical expertise in on or more specialty areas of nursing.
- Commitment to excellence in teaching and advising of undergraduate students consistent with the department’s mission, values, and program outcomes.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills for identifying issues, communicating with stakeholders (faculty, students, staff and agencies), and obtaining support for the nursing program.
- Ability to work collegially with other faculty members and staff in the department and across all campuses.
- Commitment to university/community service, outreach, and continued professional development.
- Commitment to attracting, retaining, and educating students from traditionally underrepresented groups.
Preference may be given to candidates who also offer one or more of the following:
- Evidence of experience in building and promoting community relationships.
- Evidence of successful experience in obtaining/maintaining nursing program accreditation.
- Evidence of successful clinical teaching in any of the following specialties in nursing: medical-surgical nursing, obstetrical, pediatric, mental health/psychiatric, leadership, and/or public/community health nursing.
- Evidence of contributions to diversity and/or experience working with underrepresented student populations, as well as professionals and patient populations of such backgrounds.
- Evidence of experience in program development and evaluation, and evidence-based teaching in an undergraduate baccalaureate nursing program.
- Evidence of experience working within the rules, laws, and regulations relating to BSN programs in Texas.
- Evidence of success in grant acquisition and grant reporting.
- ANA or other appropriate certification in education or nursing specialty.
The Department of Nursing has full approval from the Texas Board of Nursing to offer a baccalaureate degree in nursing and is accredited by the Commission of Collegiate Nursing Education, 655 K Street, NW, Suite 750, Washington, DC 20001. We have an excellent pre-licensure NCLEX-RN pass rate and employment rate for our graduates. The curriculum is designed to prepare graduates for a nursing career and requires all students to be involved in faculty-mentored undergraduate research. Information about the Department of Nursing is available at www.tlu.edu/nursing.
Benefits are competitive. Texas Lutheran University, an accredited university affiliated with the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, is located 35 miles from downtown San Antonio. Please submit an application, a resume, and the contact information for at least three professional references to:
Texas Lutheran University
1000 W. Court Street
Seguin, Texas 78155
FAX: (830) 372-6409
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until an appointment is made.
Job Type: Full-time
- Day shift
- Master's (Required)
- Administrative: 3 years (Required)
- Nursing education at the baccalaureate level: 3 years (Required)
- Registered Nurse in Texas (Required)
Work Location: One location