Graduate Engineer/Engineer-In-TrainingHarris County
Houston, TX 77002
This is a perfect position for a relatively new graduate engineer with an Engineer In Training certification looking to take their career to the next level. Work in the Engineering Department as a member of multi-disciplinary teams of engineers, architects, landscape architects, engineers-in-training, architect interns, computer aided designers and constructability technicians in design and construction support services. The candidate will be working with Registered Professional Engineers to prepare designs for a wide variety of design including new roadway, drainage, park, and roadway maintenance projects to gain the necessary experience and skill set to become a Register Professional Engineer. A valid Texas driver’s license is required.
- Assist in developing scopes of work, schedule and cost estimates for projects
- Perform engineering calculations in support of civil engineering design projects
- Perform AutoCAD civil 3D design/drafting in support of civil engineering design projects
- Conduct field investigations as necessary for the project during design and construction phase
- Prepare and review engineering reports, drawings, bid documents, specifications, and cost estimates for constructions
- Identify and coordinate with subject matter expertise such as surveyors, architects, geotechnical and environmental in house staff or consultants to complete the project development
- Coordinates with Harris County Precinct representatives, external agencies, and with the public as necessary
- Assist with recovery effort following local disasters to ensure Harris County has safe infrastructure following the event
- Performs other duties as assigned. Ability to adapt when emergency or short turnaround projects arise is needed. Strong communications skills is a minimum requirement. Not all duties are listed above; other duties may be assigned
Harris County is an Equal Opportunity Employer
- Bachelor's Degree or higher in engineering from an ABET accredited college or university.
- Eligible to test for Texas professional engineering licensure in civil engineering within 4 years of starting employment with Harris County.
- No prior experience is required.
- A valid driver's license (Texas upon hire) and a good driving record is required. (Must provide and maintain proof of automobile liability insurance upon employment)
- Must be able to read topographic maps and construction drawings
- Must have proficiency in AutoCAD and AutoCAD Civil 3D
- Must be able to produce documents and reports using industry standard software programs. Good oral and written communication skills. Work well in a team environment
- Must have excellent verbal and written communication, and presentation skills
- General computer proficiency, MS Excel, Word and other associated office software is required
NOTE: Qualifying education, experience, knowledge and skills must be documented on your job application. You may attach a resume to the application as supporting documentation but ONLY information stated on the application will be used for consideration. "See Resume" will not be accepted for qualifications.
- A Bachelor of Science degree in Civil/Structural Engineering from an ABET accredited college or university is preferred
- A minimum of 2 years’ experience doing civil/ structural engineering design, construction management, or related field is preferred
- Being fluent in e-Builder project management software is desired
- Possession of an EIT certificate in the State of Texas Spanish bilingual a plus!
This position requires bending, stooping and lifting up to 25 lbs., frequent walking, standing, sitting, reaching, and ascending/descending stairs.
- 10555 NW Freeway
- Commensurate with experience, based on 26 pay periods
- 8 HOUR DAY
Employment is contingent upon passing a background check and drug screen.
Due to a high volume of applications positions may close prior to the advertised closing date or at the discretion of the Hiring Department.
- Life Insurance
- Long-term disability
- Employee Assistance Program
- 10 days of vacation each year for the first five (5) years of service. Accrual rates increase based on years of service.
- 10 county holidays plus one (1) floating holiday
- Professional development opportunities
- Dependent Care Reimbursement Plan
- Healthcare Reimbursement Account
- 457 Deferred Compensation Plan
- Retirement pension (TCDRS)
- Flexible schedules (varies by department)
- Transportation Assistance (Metro RideSponsor Program)
- Flexible schedules (varies by department)
In accordance with the Harris County Personnel Regulations, Group Health and related benefits are subject to amendment or discontinuance at any time. Commissioners Court reserves the right to make benefit modifications on the County's behalf as needed.