Structural Engineering Technician 5 - Designer/Drafter - Houston, Orlando, Raleigh
Structural Engineering Technician 5 - Designer/Drafter - Houston, Orlando, RaleighBlack & Veatch Corporation
We believe real value is powered by the unique skills and experiences of our professionals. The interchange of ideas from a diverse group of people gives our teams an expanded perspective and the ability to find better solutions for our clients.
Company : Black & Veatch Corporation
Req Id : 63581
Job Title : Structural Engineering Technician 5 - Designer/Drafter - Houston, Orlando, Raleigh
Location : RGHOUSTON, RGORLA, RGRALH
Business Unit Sector : COR-BVOPS-ENGR & DEV SVCS
Department: BVCOR BV OPS EDS VIRTUAL DSGN
Opportunity Type : Staff
Relocation eligible : Yes
Full time/Part time : Full-Time
Project Only Hire: No
Visa Sponsorship Available: No
Recruiter : Kira Lau Hoi Ling Spring
Who We Are...
Black & Veatch is an employee-owned engineering, procurement, consulting and construction company with a 100-year legacy of innovations in sustainable infrastructure. We go beyond the project. We break down social, economic and geographic barriers by making life’s critical resources accessible to all. Our work empowers our clients with the knowledge, ownership and confidence they need to make meaningful differences. Black & Veatch's Global Power Business conventional, renewable, sustainable, reliable and integrated power solutions to customers. We are an organization of highly skilled professionals delivering data-driven and strategic planning, consulting, engineering, construction, program management and combined EPC solutions. We are dedicated to innovation and staying up to date with technology advancements and have a desire to help our clients navigate changing demands and regulatory compliance, while providing a cost-effective competitive advantage.
Black & Veatch’s Power division is one of the largest and most geographically diverse groups in the industry, serving electric power transmission and distribution clients worldwide. Black & Veatch provides complete engineering, procurement, and construction new asset and operating asset services in the following areas:
- Overhead Transmission Lines
- Underground Transmission Lines
- Renewables Integration
Black & Veatch is looking for a dedicated team of professionals to support the project management, project controls, procurement management, engineering, and construction oversight for multiple greenfield and brownfield projects for transmission lines, high voltage substations and distribution projects in Puerto Rico. Although not indispensable for the roles, Professionals Engineers licensed in Puerto Rico, and professionals fluent in both English and Spanish are encouraged to apply. The projects will be executed by teams working in the USA and physically on site in Puerto Rico. We are looking for candidates for both locations.LI-KS1
Your Key Responsibilities...
In this role you will function in a senior lead engineering technician capacity. Under general direction, you will modify and/or create deliverables and perform assignments of a design nature by applying basic engineering principles. You will establish design practices to develop complex design concepts. Lastly, you will provide technical guidance and direction to other technician professionals.
- Applies knowledge of standards, systems, document control, departmental guides, applicable codes and Black and Veatch policies and procedures.
- May review project requirements and accurately determine the correct format and contents of the required deliverables.
Quality / Continuous Improvement:
- Proactively applies Black and Veatch Quality Program to deliverables.
- Demonstrates personal accuracy and supports continuous improvement and change management efforts.
- Reviews design inputs in order to ensure consistency.
- Assists to ensure deliverables are in compliance with the specific codes and standards suitable for the project.
- May apply basic engineering principles and established design practices in developing moderately complex design concepts and deliverables.
- Begins to apply judgment and make decisions with respect to deliverables and input interpretation.
- Capable of handling difficult technical assignments within an area of expertise and can provide technical guidance to other professionals.
- Performs design calculations, detailed material quantities and estimates, and records.
- May review the deliverables of others and define work assignments and maintain schedules.
- May program control systems or participate in other plant start-up activities associated with a specialized area of expertise.
- Coordinates with other design group personnel to review and exchange project information necessary for design development.
- May support field activities.
- Focuses on the needs of internal clients while utilizing an understanding of external client's main interests and drivers.
Knowledge Sharing, Innovation and Technology:
- Proactively seeks and shares knowledge of latest technologies and processes.
- May apply judgment and makes decisions with respect to deliverables and input interpretation.
People Management - (supervision - career development - developing professionals, mentoring):
- May assist with performance management process, mentoring, and recognition.
- Provide guidance to lesser experienced Engineering technicians.
- May provide mentoring, instruction, delegation of work and feedback.
- Diploma or Certificate preferred.
- Associate Degree in Drafting or an Engineering Design Related Technology preferred.
- Typically, a minimum of 5-years related work experience.
Preferred Technical Skills:
- Experience with Substation and/or Overhead T-Line design
- Include but not limited to CADD experience and other electronic applications, information modeling and document storagge stystems
- Advanced knowledge of engineering standards, systems, document control, departmental guides and Black and Veatch policies and procedures.
- Advanced ability to interpret engineering deliverable content as assigned.
- Basic knowledge of construction and constructability practices and principles.
- Intermediate knowledge of engineering design principles (preferably in solar energy design) and applicable design guides related to assigned engineering discipline.
- Basic knowledge of procurement and contract administration, procedures for project controls and estimating.
- Basic knowledge of management techniques and company/division HR programs, policies, procedures, and organization structure.
- All applicants must be able to complete pre-employment onboarding requirements (if selected) which may include any/all of the following:
- criminal/civil background check, drug screen, and motor vehicle records search, in compliance with any applicable laws and regulations.
Work Environment/Physical Demands
- Typical office environment: extensive sitting, keyboarding and telephone usage. Limited lifting/carrying of files and boxes.
Black & Veatch endeavors to make www.bv.com/careers accessible to any and all users. If you would like to contact us regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance completing the application process because of a disability, please contact the Employee Relations Department at +1-913-359-1622 or via our accommodations request form. This contact information is for disability accommodation requests only; you may not use this contact information to inquire about the status of applications. General inquiries about the status of applications will not be returned.
A variety of additional benefits are available to our professionals, including a company matched 401k plan, adoption reimbursement, vendor discounts, an employment referral program, AD&D insurance, pre-taxed accounts, voluntary legal plan and the B&V Credit Union. Professionals may also be eligible for a performance-based bonus program.
By valuing diverse voices and perspectives, we cultivate an authentically inclusive environment for professionals and are able to provide innovative and effective solutions for clients.
Black & Veatch Holding Company, its subsidiaries and its affiliated companies, complies with all Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) affirmative action laws and regulations. Black & Veatch does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, religion, color, sex, national origin, marital status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender Identity and expression, disability, veteran status, pregnancy status or other status protected by law.
For our EEO Policy Statement, please click here. If you’d like more information on your EEO rights under the law, please click here and here.