Environmental Services Project Manager
Environmental Services Project ManagerNextEra Energy
Houston, TX 77002
Requisition ID: 59733
NextEra Energy Resources is one of the largest wholesale generators of electric power and renewable energy from the wind and sun in North America.
Position Specific Description
Come join our Corporate Environmental Services Team in expansion! We are seeking a Project Manager who has a passion for clean energy development that supports decarbonization of the U.S. economy. This position is in the Environmental Licensing & Permitting Section supporting new development opportunities for NextEra Energy Resources and other NextEra Energy aﬃliates throughout the Central Region (IA, KS, MO, MN, ND, NE, OK, SD, TX). Focus will be in the Dakotas. The preferred work location for this position is Houston, Texas. Remote, regionally appropriate home-based locations may be negotiated. Routine travel (up to 50%) may be required.
The applicant must have relevant Project Management experience with ability to lead, with limited direction, new corporate development opportunities and acquisitions in power generation (wind, solar, fossil, hydrogen), delivery (transmission), and storage (battery). The position provides the opportunity to use your environmental knowledge and skills to acquire permits, complete risk assessments, conduct due diligence, and advise multidisciplinary teams on environmental risk and permitting strategies to facilitate development.
Primary responsibilities include working closely with development teams and external consultants to obtain all required federal, state, and local environmental licenses, permits, and approvals for development projects. The candidate must demonstrate knowledge of and experience with aquatic, biological, and cultural surveys and studies; federal, state, and local permitting; risk assessments; due diligence; and agency coordination, such as federal and state fish, wildlife, and game departments; state historic preservation officers; public utility regulating agencies; USDA; USACE; among others.
The candidate must maintain current knowledge of pertinent federal, state, local, and company environmental policies and regulations; effectively interface with internal and external customers, subject matter experts, and other stakeholders; and facilitate resolving complex environmental matters.
Job Functions, Duties & Responsibilities
Essential Functions (List is not exhaustive and may be supplemented as necessary)
- Environmental Siting, Licensing, Permitting and Due Diligence
- Identify, manage, and mitigate environmental risk and provide innovative solutions to environmental challenges
- Project Planning, Budget, and Schedule Management
- Strategic management and oversight of environmental field studies and consultants
- Negotiations with federal, state, and local regulatory agencies
- Development/management of vendor contracts / purchase orders /invoices
- Ability to communicate effectively with internal and external stakeholders
Other Duties and Responsibilities
- Obtain all required federal, state, and local environmental licenses, permits and approvals for development projects, as well as providing other project support such as siting, and community outreach.
- Support multiple projects with multifaceted environmental and regulatory issues and assist in comprehensive environmental due diligence reviews for potential acquisitions.
- Maintain current knowledge of pertinent national and state level environmental policies and regulations, interface with internal and external customers, subject matter experts, and other stakeholders, and be able to assist in resolving complex environmental matters.
- Ensure compliance with federal, state, and local environmental regulations, as well as company policies.
Doing Well by Doing Good - NextEra Energy is focused on building long-term value for our shareholders by investing in energy technologies that are designed to provide aﬀordable, clean, and reliable power for our customers. We truly have the best team in the business. Apply today to be a part of it!!
Employees in this job provide specialized environmental expertise and environmental technical support to ensure compliance with environmental laws, regulations and permits.
Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Leads environmental programs that provide specialized expertise to ensure cost effective environmental solutions
- Maximizes operational flexibility and environmental benefits for costs incurred
- Contributes to improved system reliability and customer satisfaction
- Translates regulations and permits into actionable tasks
- Provides guidance on alternatives to minimize environmental impacts
- Identifies, tracks, and analyzes environmental performance metrics
- Reviews, monitors, and comments on emerging environmental legislation and regulations
- Assists with development of strategy and communicate environmental requirements to management
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Experience: 7+ years
Employee Group: Exempt
Employee Type: Full Time
Job Category: Environmental/Chemistry/Rad Protection
Organization: NextEra Project Mgmt
Relocation Provided: No
Where permitted by applicable law, NextEra Energy requires all employees and new hires to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 or be willing to receive the COVID-19 vaccination on or before the first day of employment.
NextEra Energy is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to race, color, age, national origin, religion, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetics, disability, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by law. We are committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace.
NextEra Energy provides reasonable accommodation in its application and selection process for qualified individuals, including accommodations related to compliance with conditional job offer requirements, consistent with federal, state, and local laws. Supporting medical or religious documentation will be required where applicable and permitted by applicable law. To request a reasonable accommodation, please send an e-mail to email@example.com, providing your name, telephone number and the best time for us to reach you. Alternatively, you may call 1-844-694-4748. Please do not use this line to inquire about your application status.
NextEra Energy will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information.
NextEra Energy does not accept any unsolicited resumes or referrals from any third-party recruiting firms or agencies. Please see our policy for more information.