FINANCIAL ANALYST III
FINANCIAL ANALYST IIICity of Houston, TX
Houston, TX 77002
Applications accepted from: ALL PERSONS INTERESTED
Job Classification: Financial Analyst III
Division: Financial Reporting & Operations
Section: Accounts Receivable & Collections
Reporting Location: 611 Walker St. *This is not a remote position*
Workdays & Hours: Monday – Friday 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.* *Subject to Change
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES / ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
Serve as primary support to management in the Financial Reporting & Operations Division.
Analyze vendor reports and data for use in City’s monthly financial reports; generate and implement initiatives for improving efficiency within the division.
- Support Vendor Management of EMS vendors (primary and secondary)
- Monitor cost center expenditures and general ledger account functions such as reconciliations, journal entries and data analysis.
- Review daily journal entry input and reconciliation to record Emergency Medical Services (EMS) activity and other financial activity.
- Assist in Monthly/annual financial reporting, which includes EMS refund reconciliation, Liens reconciliation and review, cash receipts report reconciliation and year-end audit entries and reporting.
- Review financial transactions including research and analysis of financial accounting and operating activities.
- Manage and review EMS vendor invoices while ensuring all invoices are tracked and paid by the established due dates.
- Coordinates and prepares financial transactions and management reports, such as monthly projections, annual projections, journal entries and audit responses.
- Acts as a liaison to external agencies and organizations to provide assistance in handling inquiries, complaints or problem areas.
- Work with outside parties to resolve issues and respond to both internal and external requests for customer service.
- Provide recommendations by analyzing and interpreting data and making comparative analyses; studying proposed changes in methods and materials.
- Develops various management reports for implementation.
- Maintains technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing publications and contributes to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed.
- Performs other duties as requested by division and department management.
This position is physically comfortable; the individual has discretion about walking, standing, etc. There are no major sources of discomfort in a normal office environment.
Requires a Bachelor's degree in Finance, Accounting, Business Administration or a closely related field.
Four years of professional experience in finance, economics, budget analysis or a closely related area are required. Experience cannot be substituted for the Bachelor’s degree requirement.
A Master's degree in Finance, Accounting, Business Administration or a closely related field may be substituted for two years of the above experience requirement
Preferences will be given candidates with professional certification such as CPA or CIA. Familiarity with medical billing and coding; HIPAA rules and patient privacy is a plus. Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, with attention to details and accuracy and candidates who are independent thinker with a strong work ethic and internal motivation.
**Preference shall be given to eligible veteran applicants provided such persons possess the qualifications necessary for competent discharge of the duties involved in the position applied for, such persons are among the most qualified candidates for the position, and all other factors in accordance with Executive Order 1-6. **
SELECTION / SKILLS TESTS REQUIRED
Department may administer skills assessment test
SAFETY IMPACT POSITION No
If yes, this position is subject to random drug testing if a promotional position; candidate must pass an assignment drug test.
Factors used in determining the salary offered include the candidate’s qualifications as well as the pay rates of other employees in this classification.
Pay Grade 21
Only online applications will be accepted for this City of Houston job and must be received by the Human Resources Department during posting opening and closing dates shown. Applications must be submitted online at: www.houstontx.gov or call (832)393-6051
To view your detailed application status, please log-in to your online profile by visiting: https://agency.governmentjobs.com/houston/default.cfm
If you need special services or accommodations, call (832)393-6051. (TTY 7-1-1)
If you need login assistance or technical support call 855-524-5627.
Due to the high volume of applications received, the Hiring Department will contact you directly, should you be selected to advance in our recruitment process.
All new and rehires must pass a pre-employment drug test and are subject to a physical examination and verification of information provided.